The objective of the Programme, which is funded by the German Government through the KfW Development Bank, is to improve access to sustainable and appropriate water supply, sanitation and hygiene facilities of the poor and malnourished rural population in six districts of Luapula Province including Chiengi, Chifunabuli, Kawambwa, Lunga, Mwansabombwe and Mwense, benefitting approximately 200,000 people.
The main interventions planned to be undertaken under the Programme include:
- Rehabilitation of 450 existing non-functional boreholes;
- Drilling of 340 new boreholes and equipping the same with handpumps;
- Construction/upgradation of 10 piped water supply systems;
- Rehabilitation/upgradation of WASH infrastructure in 50 schools and 20 health centres, including health care waste management system in health care facilities;
- Hygiene and sanitation promotion in the target communities, schools and health centres (using community led total sanitation approach);
- Development of district-level WASH masterplans (including for the wards to be targeted as well as for the whole districts) as well as capacity building and sustainability plans for the target districts;
- Training of 800 water point committees as well as pump minders and district staff;
- Establishment/upgradation of SOMAP shops (district and sub-district levels); and
- Provision of equipment and supplies to the districts for effective and sustainable management of WASH services, based on capacity building/sustainability plan.
The main objective of the consultancy is to ensure that the interventions supported under the Programme provide quality infrastructure, facilities and services that benefit the target communities in line with the objectives of the Programme. There are two elements to the consultancy to allow this objective to be achieved:
- Provision of engineering services for undertaking comprehensive technical, environmental and social assessments/feasibility studies; preparation of technical specifications, designs/drawings, bills of quantities, bidding documents, environmental and social plans; provision of support for management of bidding process; development of WASH master plans as well as sustainability and capacity building plans; and
- Provision of services for supervision and monitoring of the hardware interventions supported under the Programme, including compliance with environmental, social, health & safety plans and guidelines.